Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Flavor Country


After a long and exhausting week, there is nothing like a visit to flavor country.


My friend suggested we begin a Sunday tradition of collective dinners. I've had this thought so many times, but lately my community seems to be shifting continuously and group activities seem an impossibility. Thank you Whitney, and thank you to this Japanese funk group and their song "SCARY BOMB."




This week was the first installment of our little series, and while Charles served up his grilled corn and lime chowder I think we all thought "Welcome to Flavor Country!" so that is this week's theme. 

We also had a salad made of asparagus, mixed greens, walnuts and parmesan. 


I made a dish suggested by the host, a cod-au-gratin, and though it took me some hunting I found some pretty good deals at the trusty PA supermarche. 


This dish ended up tasting kind of like a chowder in a casserole, and Amanda told me it was not supposed to taste like that. I may have drowned it in béchamel sauce...


Anyway, the whole series of dishes was delicious, and I would recommend giving the gratin a whirl, though maybe less heavy on the sauce. (I tend to go heavy on the sauce).


Oh ya, and a quiche!



Cod-au-gratin

2-3 cod filets
several potatoes, peeled and sliced
about 3/4 cup béchamel sauce (see my recipe for lasagna bolognese)
1/2 cup flavored brad crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan grated

Oven at 375 deg

This is a pretty simple assembly, in a casserole dish just layer thinly with potatoes, crumbs, cod and sauce, and repeat. Try to make the layers thin and don't overdo it on the sauce, and on the final layer sprinkle the parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven until a knife goes through the casserole easily, about 45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment