Thursday, February 16, 2012

Check my Eggs!


I have a very talented and roguish friend who decided to start a chicken coop in the backyard of his place. He built it from scratch and bought 12 laying hens, raising them from chicks. We live in the city, so this is...on its way to being legal? But I am fortunate to benefit from his risk-taking and got nearly 20 eggs today! Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, amirite??


With this many eggs, I had to research again how to best hard-boil one. I think my next go around will involve some baking soda in the water (apparently this loosens the shell for peeling) and the following recipe: Put eggs in cold water, cover, bring to a boil, take off heat immediately and allow to sit for 12 minutes. I'll let you know how that goes...

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. a!Hiiiiii!! I am not seeing a real changing in the outcome of new and adventurous egg-boilings yet, but I will let you know...miss you!!

      Delete
  2. those look awesome! i've been following that same procedure more or less to hard boil my less-exciting-looking eggs for the past few days. i don't notice a difference if i wait 10 min or 20 min or if i add salt or vinegar or nothing at all to the water... i guess i'm not the greatest conneggseur har har har... but i'll have to try this baking soda idea! can't wait to see what you make with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conneggseur...see carolyn this is why you need to write a blog again

      Delete
  3. I LOVE soft boiled eggs. We have to figure out the perfect time!!!!

    ReplyDelete