Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup (extra spicy for me)

I am a big fan of Ina (as I know many people in the food-o-sphere are). I love her comfortable yet commanding presence on screen. I love that she worked in the White House before devoting her life to comfort food. AND I love that she has a mexican chicken tortilla soup recipe.


My love for mexican chicken tortilla soup is somewhat inexplicable; all I know is whenever it appears on a table I get giddy to the point where people think there's something wrong with me...it's spicy, it's mexican, AND it's nostalgia inducing, wrap-you-up-in-a-warm-blanket-when-you're-home-sick chicken soup. Heck. yess.

As it turns out, mexican chicken soup is pretty easy and cheap (yay!) aside from the various (and often necessary) accoutrement, like avocados, sour cream and cheese. I just came from my home in the toasty climate of the south-west, and returning to Montreal and its bone-tingling cold brought on a strong hankering for soup. Still, I wanted a little something to remind me of the desert heat I left behind, with its arid nights and purple sky at dusk when you can sit outside sockless in january.

BAM! This recipe perfectly combines all my desires! BAM! And it's a Barefoot recipe! BAM! (not an Emeril recipe, as the BAMs might make you believe). BAM!

I DID NOT have chicken on the bone and with skin (sorry Ina). I know, as she has said many times, this is the best way to keep the moisture IN! I did prep them the same way, roasting rather than boiling the chicken to be shredded. I gotta tell y'all, the chicken just tastes soooo much better when you do it Ina's way, for chicken salads, for soups, everything that lady touches...oof, amazing.

My bf is also a doll and bought me a magical tortilla maker for my birthday, so I made the tortillas by hand (super easy, just maize flour and water). I think these made the soup's consistency a little different than when I had store-bought tortillas in the past. The broth was a bit thicker as their may have been more starch in my fresh ones.







This was so good!! I fed all my roomates, my boyfriend and myself till our stomachs became taut as drums...and we still have enough for at least another two meals. I also used only two chicken breasts in this recipe. It was plenty for us but maybe you just love your chicken. Can't say I blame you.

Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
adapted from Ina Garten's recipe

4 chicken breasts
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped carrots
4 large garlic cloves
2 1/2 quarts chicken stock*
1 can tomatoes
2-4 jalapenos
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 cup cilantro
6 tortillas

*a quart is 4 cups. I had to look that up twice...

Oven at 350 deg. F

Place the chicken on a sheet pan, rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Ina prefers chicken on the bone, with the skin, but I used boneless/skinless breasts (on sale). Works both ways. Roast these suckas for 35-40 minutes. When done, let them cool till you can handle them, and then shred with a fork. Set aside.

Put 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large soup pot, add onions, celery and carrots and cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic, chicken stock, tomatoes, jalapenos, cumin, coriander, 1tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and cilantro. For the jalapenos, I like my soup wicked spicy so I also added a scotch bonnet pepper, which made it wild and awesome. Less jalapenos if you like that wildness less, or if it just upsets your tummy (totally get it.)

Cut the tortillas into strips and add to the pot. Bring the pot to a boil, and then turn the heat down and let it all simmer for 25 minutes. Just before serving, add the chicken. Dress with avocados, sour cream and cheese, or whatever your little heart desires.

2 comments:

  1. MM! biggest and baddest chicken b's i ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you come back (to "the Continent") we should make Ina's tarragon chicken salad...OMG girrrrrrll

      Delete