Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ginger Apricot Scones


During Seafood Chowdown 2012, ginger syrup was made for cocktails and its byproduct (candied ginger) was left in my fridge for a number of weeks. I love me some candied ginger but I couldn't just snack on it. It was a little too sugary and maybe psychologically I couldn't bring myself to grab candies from the fridge. I'm stuck in my old fashioned, room-temperature-candy ways.

So the other morning I ran across a recipe in Bon Appetit magazine for ginger scones and WHAM-BO, magic. I didn't have cherries (which the magazine suggests) so I replaced with some dried apricots.

I like any morning that starts with Amy Goodman. I apologize, Amy, for the bad screen grab. I can't seem to catch you looking pensive, only midway between a sneeze and a snore. You can't help but look dignified though.


So anyway, we were just hanging out watching Democracy Now, with matching mug (no big deal guys)



It looks like I might be going on a solo tour in the spring, the first solo tour I've ever done. It means I need to write a lot of new material and prep a show before May. I haven't had a challenge like this in a long time. 



In preparation for this I'm gonna be posting new material I'm testing out on my "MUSIC" page (tab directly to your right everybody). It's all brand-spanking new and I'm looking for a bit of peer review, so if you ever want to give me a thumbs up on a particular tune, like if you hear a recording that you think "hey I'd be interested to hear that live," lemme know.


Back to the food, these scones are scrumptious and keep for about a day. Scones tend to get dry pretty quickly, so I'd suggest keeping them tightly sealed if you want to eat them for a second breakfast. Enjoy!



Ginger-Apricot Scones

2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, cold and diced
1/2 cup diced dried apricots
1/2 cup candied ginger diced
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs

Combine all the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, salt and bp), then crumble in the butter like you're making a pie crust, till it all looks mealy. Toss the diced apricot and ginger in the meal until coated. In separate bowl whisk together the eggs and milk, then incorporate into the flour mixture until just together. Put out onto a floured surface and knead a few times, cut in half, then in half again and then half again, and you should have a total of eight scones. Bake on a slightly oiled sheet for 12 minutes or so.

8 comments:

  1. Ches, these look AMAZING! Love me some candied ginger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZERS! these look amazing!! I am pinning it as well! YOU WILL BE FAMOUS YO! JUST LIKE JULIA CHILD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do pin!

    do you like, want an invite??!1

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is pinning?
    Cause I wanna do that too.
    I'm gonna make me some dill and cheddar scones tomorrow.
    mmmmmhhhhmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making cheddar bacon scones tomorrow!! (there's no good dill right now, biatch)

      Delete