Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cashew Chicken Stir Fry


I may have just broken one of the cardinal rules. But I'll tell you something, the above picture was not taken in some fuzzy-artistic frenzy. It is legitimately blurry and I don't have any idea why.

I tried. I am telling you, I had lighting this time. I adjusted angles and stationed a lamp above the food and even repositioned some things on the plate. This was a step for me, not an enormous one but a step. But I have just realized why having a nice camera is important in food photography. Snapping pics on your iPhone may have been made solely for those drunken fb photos you regret, and not fine food photography. Which brings me to my next point...



It is hard to have a nice food blog when you are poor.
I said it! It's true! I mean, I'm not complaining about my life here. My life is really very nice. And if you want to peruse all of my previous posts, I do eat rather well despite a limited budget. Not shabby.

But when it comes to all those fancy contraptions, whirly-ma-whatsits and whose-a-ma-gadgets, and the super fancy ingredients like truffle-nut-roe-butter, and of course the fancypants 3 million camera series...I am afraid I'm puzzling how to bridge that gap on a limited income.  But maybe I also have a problem with liking fancy shiznat.

The internet really is a borderland. It's a place where we all have the same access to exposure and this makes us all believe we can make it on our own. It's a bright and shining sun that can sometimes blind you. It's like Horatio Alger's amurrica but now we're global, and you can sell a piece of trash for 5$ and download someone's masterpiece for free. But internet, I still love you. Let's hug it out.....smooooosh. Let's end in Thailand, where this tasty Gordon Ramsay dish comes from!


Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
(from Gordon Ramsay's World Kitchen)

2-3 boneless skinless breasts
2 tbs veggie oil
1/3 cup cashews
1 small onion
3 garlic cloves
3 green onions
1 dry red chili
1 pinch sugar
4 tsp fish sauce
1 tbs dark soy sauce
1 red chili

In a wok or skillet, heat the oil and add the cashews. toast and then remove to the side. Add in the onions and garlic, toss for 4 minutes. Add in the chicken and dry chili and let it cook until the chicken is opaque. Add in the soy, fish sauce, green onions (sliced diagonally), sugar and cashews. Cook it for only a couple of minutes, and then add the chili and take off the heat. Serve with rice!   

1 comment: