Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pecan Sticky Buns


Oh ya. You know you want it. I know I want it. Again.
The first thing I say to people about this is "hey GUESS HOW MUCH BUTTER." I often like to start off conversations like this; "Guess how long it took me to get here" or "guess how much money I spent on this." Sometimes I think I was meant to be a game show host.

But come on. GUESS HOW MUCH BUTTER! so much. so much butter.


We had a brunch at my place and this was my contribution. These sparkly wonderful pecan sticky buns. And I'm saying, I haven't been this proud of a creation before. I made a good brioche! Last time I tried to make brioche the thing didn't rise, and I also used a weird pan that had holes in it to bake the rolls, so there was butter dripping all over the damn place. 

But these rolls, they rose. Many times. And the butter caramelized and made a sugary topping. Granted I almost broke my cuisineart because I decided to use it to pound my brioche into submission, and then it started SMOKING, but I got it right!!

Diz-amn. 




Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted from Julia Child's Baking with Julia
*This recipe should be started at least a day before, if not more.

Brioche
The Sponge
1/3 c warm whole milk
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 large egg
2 c AP flour

Put 1 cup flour, egg, yeast and milk in a bowl, mix until just blended and then sprinkle the remaining cup of flour on top. Set it aside uncovered for 30-40 minutes after which the flour should be cracking at the top.

The Dough
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c AP flour
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature

Add the sugar, salt, eggs and 1 cup flour to the sponge. Put in a heavy duty mixer and mix on low for a minute, then still mixing add 1/2 cup more of flour. Mix on medium for 15 minutes. The dough should slap the sides of the bowl, and if it doesnt come together add up to 3 tbsp more of flour. BE CAREFUL. YOUR MIXER WILL GET HOT (my cuisineart started smoking).

To add the butter, first make sure the consistency is very malleable. Work it with a rubber spatula before adding it in. Add it 2 tbsp at a time on medium low. When you're done the dough shoudl feel cool. 

Transfer the dough to a large buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temp for 2-21/2 hours. 

Deflate the dough with the tips of your fingers, lifting it out of the bowl and letting it fall back. Cover again and put into the fridge to chill overnight. 

The Buns
Dough
1 recipe Brioche dough
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature

Filling
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 sp cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup chopped pecans (or in my case, ground almonds)

Topping
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c light brown sugar
42 pecan halves

So next day, take that brioche outta the fridge. On a lightly floured surface, take half the brioche and roll it out (keep any pieces not being used in the fridge until you work with it). Roll it into a rectangle, 13" x 11". Smear butter onto it and then fold it like a letter (see image above). Roll out again into the same rectangle, and then fold, wrap and refridge for 30 minutes. Repeat with the other half of brioche. 

Combine the sugar and cinnamon. Take one half of the dough out, roll it again into a rectangle and with a pastry brush, spread the egg all over. Sprinkle the sugar mix over, leaving the top 1/4 bare. sprinkle the pecans or almonds over. press lightly down with your hands. Then roll into a log. wrap tightly in seran wrap and freeze for an hour. Do the same with the other half. 

 In two round cake pans, press down one stick of butter into the bottom of the pan. sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Take the logs out of the freezer and cut into pieces, about seven per log. With cupped hands, form each slice into a rounder shape, more like a bun. Then take 3 pecans per bun and nestle the pecans into the top of one side. flip this over, and keeping the nuts in place, put them top down into the buttered cake pans. don't put them too close together. Let the buns rise in the pans for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 

Preheat the oven to 350 deg. When the buns have risen enough to touch eachother, put the pans into the middle rack and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Take them out and invert them to a serving dish (otherwise the sugar will harden). Serve after they've cooled a bit, because the topping is CRAZY hot. 

ADDITIONAL PICS my friend just sent: 





1 comment: