Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Vegan Carne Asada

THE CLEANSE.

The journey through week one has been at times a trial, at times a revelation. The headaches, achey joints, swollen face, grouchy mornings, afternoons and evenings were just a few of the hurtles Luke and I have had to navigate; But we discovered all sorts of amazing things! 

For instance: Cauliflower rice! This might sound ridiculous, and it is certainly not as filling nor as quick and easy as regular old rice, but when looking for a light and healthy substitute, this stuff is wild and crazy. It has rice like texture and absorbs delicious sauces like nobody's business. 

To be honest, the meals on this cleanse are really simple and not at all unpleasant. The first week is a rough track because I had to give up some of my most loved and adored indulgences, namely grains (BREAD), dairy (BUTTER), and sugar (CHOCOLATE). Oh ya, and meat (EVERYTHING).



So I was behaving in a pretty hangry fashion towards the end of week one, at which point we had run the gamut of our new recipes, discovered all the pleasantries of feeling lighter on our feet, emptier in our tummies and generally much less full of delicious but not necessarily nutritious cuisines.

Out of this hangry hangover, I decided to get a little creative on this cleanse's butt. And the thing I was craving more than anything? Meat. Can't deny it people, I'm a mad carnivore. I cleansed myself off all the delicious things that I know and love, and my biggest craving is some lamb tacos, a nice roast chicken, or some M&%^$iING CARNE ASADA. mmmm.


So I did it!!! That's right peeps, I made a totally awesome, gluten free, sugar free, MEAT FREE Carne Asada dinner. Included is a charred red pepper, sweet potato fries and an avocado sauce made of fresh cilantro and lime juice.

The "meat" is portobello mushrooms marinated in the "cleansing broth" from the cleanse, some lime juice, salt and pepper, and various spices. I grilled 'em up and, in totem, a glorious vegan feast that fully satisfied me until week two began the next day and I was allowed to eat some fish.

Next up in my craving pool, sugar (really tracking what's most important to my crazy food brain). I'll get into all THAT next post. Wish me luck with the rest of week two y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment