Monday, December 31, 2012

Besties of 2012

 I know it's cheesy, and I haven't even had this blog for a full year, but here are MY Besties for the year 2012:

Best Roast:
Thanksgiving Turkey

This Thanksgiving, I had the best turkey I have ever had. We brined it overnight with citrus fruits and peppercorns, and the meat was so flavorful I was freaking about it all night. 


Best Sandwich: 
The Chicken at Bakesale Betty's

Luke and I made an epic trip across Canada and down the western coastline in 2012. En route, we ate some pretty spectacular meals, ranging from duck confit benedict on the train to Burmese pumpkin pork stew and more than a few roadside tacos. But I found this chicken sandwich pretty damn impressive at Bakesale Betty's in Oakland. 

Yet another small shop spawning from protegés of the epic Chez Panisse, BB focuses exclusively on a few fine baked desserts, mouth-watering lemonade and this fine sandwich. The baguette is insanely crusty and the chicken is perfectly tender and crisp on the outside, but it's the slaw that just KILLS IT. Super fresh and crunchy greens with a hint of lime and flecked with spicy jalapenos, this sandwich is a MUST-RECREATE for 2013.




Best Band Photo:
Friends

A picture which preceded a Best Decision to move up into a new neighbourhood with lots of delicious food and fun people, and beforehand make this radical Sweet Potato Chicken Enchilada pie




Best Imitation of a Cougar:
Sister








 Best Dumplings:
Dean Sin World

In spring I toured around New England for a bit, and on my last day in Manhattan my wonderful friends took me to a dim sum restaurant and plied me with delicious soup dumplings. After trying them once, I became a fiend and had to discover the secret to these juicy, soupy things. Once realizing that they were actually called xiao long bao, and that they were difficult to prepare, and that I COULDN'T GET THEM IN MONTRÉAL, I was gripped by an obsession to locate them whenever I could. 

Once back in Los Angeles, I went to a place called Dean Sin World, and had truly amazing xiao long bao. I only hope I can find somewhere closer to my apartment in 2013. 



Best Resurrected Image:
Mom

My mom recently mined the archives and resurfaced some pretty amazing pictures from her youth. This one is my current favorite. 



Best (Worst) Advertisement:
Soup Lady

I have actually seen the image of this lady drinking some orange flavoured soup for years, but never had an opportunity to snap a pic. So Happy New year guys, here's the creepiest ad pic I can think of!





Best Golf Buddy:
Luke

In Seattle, Luke and I discovered the glory of strolling around with pals, drinking brews and making up new terms for sucking at the sport, aka Golf. You know how a birdie is one under par, well a Turkey is one over!




Best Outro Image:
ME
Let's hope for some better ones next year! Happy new Year!!!! Here's to Lovin' life in 2013


1 comment:

  1. That Bakesale Betty chicken sandwich is heavenly. I was super mad because my boyfriend was "not hungry" and wanted to split one with me. Booo.

    ReplyDelete